Pine River Country Club Alma, MI
“Pine River Country Club is one of the oldest courses in the state. Existing for nearly 100 years, this beautiful piece of land has been and will continue to be, a special place to play golf for all our members and guests. My dream is to enhance the course and Chris Wilczynski’s plan is exactly what we needed.”
Alan Kommel, Owner and Member
After a recommendation from the Golf Association of Michigan, Al Kommel, longtime club member and co-owner of Pine River golf course turned to C.W. Golf Architecture in 2019 to develop a master plan for the original nine holes of the course. The approval of the master plan was followed by a complete 9-hole renovation in 2020.
The golf course is part of Pine River Country Club, a private golf club located in mid-Michigan. The original nine holes were designed by the Chicago Landscape Company in the 1920’s while the second nine was added in the 1960’s.
Club member, Randy Lewis, also consulted with Chris to help evolve the plan. Lewis, who captured the coveted U.S. Mid-Amateur championship (2011) as well as an exclusive invitation to the 2012 Masters Tournament at Augusta National, has walked the course with Chris on many occasions to discuss the unique aspects of the original architecture.
- 9-hole renovation included removal of 250+ trees to expose the course’s beautiful landscape and rolling terrain.
- Addition of 10 acres of native grass, a natural and diverse habitat for wildlife that requires limited maintenance.
- All greens rebuilt and expanded to add interest.
- Four sets of tees on every hole ranging from 3300 to 1950 yards – including forward tees that invite players of all ages and skill levels to enjoy the game.
- Strategic bunkering repositioned at more appropriate angles to the line of play and placed within the property’s natural landforms and ridges.