Chautauqua Golf Club Chautauqua, NY
Chris Wilczynski (CWGA) was hired in 2018 to complete a 36-hole Master Plan for the storied Chautauqua Golf Club, which is part of The Chautauqua Institution – a non-profit, 750-acre educational center nestled beside the beautiful Chautauqua Lake in Western New York. Fourteen World Golf Hall of Famers, including Sam Snead and Ben Hogan walked the fairways of the historic property.
Wilczynski has completed master plans for Chautauqua Golf Club’s “Lake Course”, originally designed by renowned golf course architect Donald Ross in the early 1920’s as well as the “Hill Course”, designed by Xen Hassenplug in the mid-1980’s. Both plans address specific needs to improve course infrastructure, aesthetics, and playability.
While the Hill Course calls for simpler refinements, returning the Lake Course to Ross’ original layout is the priority of the Lake Course master plan.
Master Plan Highlights (Lake Course)
- Restoring the original course routing.
- Adding tees to lengthen and shorten the course.
- Reimplementing Ross’ random and strategic bunkering.
- Removal of several trees to enhance playability, aesthetics, and course maintenance.
- Expanding the greens back to their original designs.
- Recapturing the original Ross holes (#15, #16, #17) that were lost and reconfigured when the Hill course was constructed.